Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thrifty/Crafty Thursday


Today is dark and stormy, and I am feeling pretty exhausted. I haven't really had any time to myself this week, and I'm feeling the need to just sit and weep over all of the tragedies our nation has seen in the past few days.  I didn't sleep much last night, partially because of the tornado warning, but also because I couldn't shut my mind off.  Several really exciting things have happened in my life this week, but celebrating them doesn't feel right when we have so many new reasons to grieve.  I'm thankful joy is promised in the morning.

I made these plant hangers a few weeks ago--they were super easy.  You'll need yarn, scissors, a tape measure or ruler, and a metal ring (they come in packs of six at Hobby Lobby for like a dollar).  Cut 16 pieces of yarn into 80 inch strands.  Line all of the strands up and fold them in half, then place the folded part through the metal ring.  Pull the ends through to make a knot around the ring.  


Once your yarn is connected to the ring, separate the strands into four sections of four pieces each.  Tie each section together with a knot about 8 inches down from the ring.  Take two strands from each section and connect them to two strands from the section next to them, which creates a triangle.  Tie them about 4-5 inches down from the last knot.  Do this again, separating each section in half and combining it with the section next to it.  You can vary how far apart you tie each round of knots, like I did, to create different lengths.  Tie all of the strands together in a large knot--this will be the bottom.  Stick a pot through one of the larger openings, and there you go! :)  I'm pretty happy with them--now if I can just keep my baby plants alive, we'll be good.

I'm off to soccer practice.  My little ladies always put me in a good mood--they're hilarious.  And by little ladies, I mean 12 year olds who are almost all taller than I am.  I'm almost tempted to throw on a jersey and play in the games.

To be true to the "Thrifty Thursday" theme, here's what Daniel bought for our wedding at Target last night.  Their little $1-$3 section at the front is the best thing ever.







No comments:

Post a Comment