Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Planning Progress: On Behalf of the 91%







As of this morning, our attempt to raise $25,000 to help others in need all over the world is 9% funded.  32 of us have donated, and together we have impacted 2,337 people.  We have 194 days to go.  

I'm going to be completely transparent for a few minutes.  

When Daniel and I decided to add this fundraiser on to the responsibility of planning a wedding, we received a lot of questions.  We only shared the idea with a few loved ones as we were fleshing it out, and most of them were concerned about the additional stress it would bring.  Why were we making things more complicated than they had to be?

If I'm being honest, it was tough to not get discouraged by some of these responses.

So we prayed. And did more research on costs. And prayed. And met with Pure Charity.  And prayed.  And did more research on the people we could help.  And prayed.

And suddenly, a huge peace washed over us through the encouraging words and generous hearts of some of you.  Before we even launched our campaign, Michelle Soden stepped forward to donate her time and talents through photography.  One of my best friends, Rachel, offered up so much enthusiasm, I couldn't question the Lord's hand in this.  And we continued to find exactly what we wanted for our wedding for much less than most spend.  

The first couple of weeks, the ball was rolling.  We were so excited.  $1500 in a matter of two-ish days? YES. We had already helped ten times the amount of guests we'll have at our wedding.  We helped fund adoptions, rescue trafficking victims, provide clean water and education.  My heart was bursting--I had no idea I could feed a village with the amount of money I spent on a cup of fancy coffee.  

I so badly wanted everyone else to understand how wonderful giving could feel, and I wanted it immediately.  At some point, things began to slow down, and I started feeling a little impatient.  I had to check my heart--a lot.  Honestly, we did not anticipate being stalled at under $2,500 for a month.  I couldn't help but figure out in my head what this trend of giving would mean if it continued until October--we would be nowhere near reaching our goal.

I admit it--I wanted control for a minute.  When I have a deadline or dream, I don't rest until I get there.  But this was out of my hands.  I obsessed over checking our page, hoping the numbers had moved.  But they hadn't.  And then several of our projects were unsuccessful in getting funded, so those donations were refunded and we lost money.  And I felt discouraged.  

So did Daniel.  So we prayed and took a step back.  I didn't check the page for about a week.  I realized that although this is something I feel called to for this period of my life, it isn't my life.

While looking through our projects this morning, I remembered why we are doing this.  That although this isn't MY LIFE, it is someone else's.  It's the baby in the village in Peru for whom we're trying to provide clean water--that water can and will give her a better, safer, and healthier life.  It's the homeless man in Rogers who needs his clothes washed because he's been wearing them for two weeks and it's starting to get warm outside and he finally has a job interview.  It's the little girl in Indonesia, rescued out of sex slavery, staying in a girl's home that needs a reliable generator.  It's their lives and their livelihood--that's why we're doing this.

And you know what?  We have helped 2,337 people.  That's no small number.  Those are 2,337 individual lives improved by your generosity.  Those are 2,337 people we'll probably never meet, but our money has somehow met them where they are.  And that's exciting and beautiful and wonderful.

This world is huge and hungry, guys, but we can make it small and full.  We can keep it alive.  If 32 of us can do it for 2,337 people, I can't imagine what could happen if more people join us.  This isn't a numbers game, though, it's a real living, breathing, hurting person and their right to life--the same right you and I have.  I'm not saying we should give out of guilt or sacrifice, but because we have the means and we CAN.  At the end of the day, we're all people who are living today and will die at some point--we're all in this life thing together.  Why shouldn't I make today more pleasant for someone else if I can?

I apologize for my moment of weakness and doubt, and for flooding your Facebook newsfeeds begging for money.  But today I'm posting on behalf of real people, not numbers or dollars.  I'd say something like, 'We can make a difference,' but we're already doing that.  

We've helped 9% of the people we have the opportunity to help.  So let's keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment