Monday, May 27, 2013

The Groom Writes: On Fellowship



Growing up in a Southern Baptist church, I frequently attended fellowships, which were anything from a cookout during the summer with other church families to a youth lock-in inside the gym. It pretty much seemed like every church event was called a fellowship. 

Getting plugged into a local church during college changed my view of what fellowship based in Christ looks like. I got plugged into one of my church’s small groups and we met for dinner once a week in someone’s living room. I didn’t know anyone in the group when I first started. There were a few engineering students, a couple that were covered in tattoos, some couples in their mid-forties with kids, a guy who had just lost his job and was struggling to find work, and a girl who had just become a believer.

I barely had anything in common with these people, but after a few dinners, I felt like I was supposed to be with them. The only thing that was holding us together was that common bond in Jesus. We spent our dinner sharing stories on how we had seen God at work that week and being honest when we were going through humbling times. Spending intimate time with these people made me realize this is what fellowship should look like. This is how the body of Christ is supposed to function.

Jordan and I don’t want this Pure Charity thing to be about us. Our initial fear about sharing our story with people is that we might come across as a “look at this great thing we are doing!” couple. Then I remember all the people we are impacting together and that God is getting all of the glory, and for some reason He is allowing us to go through with this crazy idea for our wedding.

Every time a new person backs our fundraiser, it feels like he or she is linking arms with all of us backers.  We are all held together by our desire to help and change the world for others.   And in that way, this fundraiser has created fellowship. I may not know many of our backers or have much in common with them, but we are able to publicly stand together to glorify Christ through our giving. God is good. 


P.S: Jordan uploaded my post to the blog. Although I do love entertaining kids with Care Bear puppets, you should be a little concerned if I added that photo myself. I love you, Jordan! And if anyone from the BYX cool kids club read this post, leave a comment. But you probably won't because you are in the cool kids club. I was just curious. 

-Daniel


Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement!

No comments:

Post a Comment