Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Oklahoma


I bought this flag Saturday.  
I planned on giving it to Daniel as a little anniversary gift next week--for our new place. We've talked about getting an Oklahoma flag for a while now--we're both from Tulsa.  
Then Sunday and Monday happened, and it just didn't feel right to leave it folded up in a shoe box any longer.  

As a wannabe writer, I feel torn in times of tragedy.  Part of me feels like I should have something poignant to say, but most of me feels stunned to silence.  My words cannot undo anything, nor can they touch tangible needs.  

Some of my favorite writers find ways to turn ugly, disastrous things into beautiful calls to action and community.  I appreciate them, because we are all in this life thing together.  Some of my favorite people wrestle quietly with their grief.  I appreciate them, too, because sometimes these things just hit too close to home. 
And then sometimes they hit home.

Sending prayers and love and hours of sleeplessness your way from NW Arkansas, Oklahoma.

And I'm not the only one doing so.  I just drove back to work from my lunch break, and two guys about my age are standing on the street corner of main street Springdale in the pouring rain holding handwritten signs that say, "One Nation, Under God.  #Oklahoma."

No comments:

Post a Comment