Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Bridesmaids Write: Rachel

This is the first post in a new series, The Bridesmaids Write.  In this series, you'll have the privilege of reading my best friends' take on this whole wedding planning thing--from the budget, to planning my shower, to what it really feels like to be a bridesmaid.  These ladies are the most wonderful, supportive friends I've ever had, and they all happen to be incredibly competent.  Lucky for you, lovely readers!

Today my lovely bridesmaid and old college roommate, Rachel, says some very sweet things about our budget and fundraiser idea.  She and her husband have been a HUGE support through this whole plan, and we can't thank them enough!



When Jordan told me last December that they planned to have a wedding for under $2,000, I can’t say I was surprised.  As her college roommate, I have a lot of firsthand experience with Jordan’s thriftiness, from the tacky needlepoint collection on the wall to the one-of-a-kind armchair in our living room.  Heck, even Penny was thrifted!  This girl not only loves a good bargain, but she loves the unique, eclectic, and personal.  While I had a hard time planning my own wedding on a larger budget (I was blessed that my parents funded my big day), I knew that Jordan would pull off something incredible on the budget she had chosen. 

It was not until Jordan told me about her and Daniel’s bigger plan for the wedding, however, that I realized how incredible that “something” would be. 

“You want to…WHAT?” 

They wanted to raise $25,000.  For other people.  While planning their wedding.

What a statement.  In a world where weddings have become a competition of who has the biggest ring, the best photographer, and the fanciest venue, Jordan and Daniel were intentionally taking the focus off of themselves.  When so many of us have forgotten that marriage is a sacrament of the Church, rather than a giant party, these two were using the wedding as a ministry opportunity. 

I truly could not be more proud to be part of a wedding. 

Really.  Ask all of my coworkers and classmates who’ve never met Jordan, but know all about her wedding.  I won’t stop talking about it.

As of now, the wedding is 89 days away, and $3,468 has been raised.  Considering that’s well over the entire wedding budget, that is incredible.  There is still a long way to go before reaching the $25,000 mark, but I’m not sure that achieving the ultimate numerical goal is what matters.

Jordan and Daniel decided to pursue this unique plan for their wedding because through prayer and patience, this is what they felt called to do.  Even if they don’t raise $25,000 by October, that does not take away from the lives they have already impacted.

I don’t just mean the refugees who are now able to receive an education, the homeless who have a free place to do their laundry, the sex trafficking victims who have a new generator in their shelter, or the Peruvians who are able to drink clean water. 

For me, the future Rocks have reminded me to live simply.  More importantly, they have reminded me about the purpose of marriage – to form a more effective ministry team and accomplish what you could not on your own.  What a message.




-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment