Monday, August 5, 2013

DIY Decor: Tree Cookie Photo Transfer

This DIY was super easy and I am so happy with how it turned out!  I've done photos to canvas transfers before, but wanted to figure out a more theme-appropriate way to display our engagement photos (by the incredibly talented Kinsey Mhire) at the wedding.  I saw this post on A Beautiful Mess a couple of weeks ago, and knew I had to try it on tree cookies.

I didn't go out and buy a roller like they suggested.  And I didn't use photo paper--just regular printer paper!  
What you'll need:

-Printed photos on regular ol' paper.  
(Make sure you resize the photos to fit the area you want them to cover.  I did this in Photoshop.)
-Mod Podge
-Paint brush
-Tree cookie (you can chop 'em yourself, or find them in the wood aisle at Hobby Lobby)
-Scissors



I began by cutting the photo to fit the surface of the wood.  I then covered the front of the photo with mod podge with my paint brush and gently stuck it face down to the tree cookie.  Since I didn't buy a roller, I used the flat edge of my phone to smooth out any air bubbles--you could also use a credit card, or just about anything, really.



The hardest part was waiting an hour to see how it would turn out!  After letting it dry, I took a wet rag to the paper and began gently dabbing/rubbing it until the entire surface was damp.  I slowly peeled the edges as well as I could, and used the rag to gently rub the rest of the white paper off to reveal the picture!

TADA!


I can't wait to do a few more!

No comments:

Post a Comment